Are you scared of dentists? Has the thought of having your teeth cleaned fill you with dread? We get it. Many people dread the idea of having their teeth cleaned. When you were young, you thought it was painful, possibly dangerous and that there was probably no alternative. Thankfully, we have evolved since then.
Today, dental cleaning procedures in North York are far less painful and uncomfortable than we remember. In fact, they are quite comfortable and easy.
What to expect during your dental cleaning
- The dental assistant will first check your teeth for any signs of cavities. Cavities can be checked if the hygienist spots a filling or a dark spot on a tooth.
- Following that, your dentist will then examine your teeth. Dental professionals can tell you the state of your oral health. They will also check your gums for any inflammation or bleeding.
- Your dentist will then talk to you about your treatment options. They will discuss the benefits and disadvantages of each option and the related costs.
- Once you are happy with the treatment plan, the dentist will look at a suitable time to schedule your appointment. They may suggest that you make an appointment for a checkup in about a month. If you are experiencing any problems, you might be visiting again sooner.
- The dentist will then talk about the procedure and what to expect. You will learn about the dental instruments your dentist will use for the treatment and the precautions you will take. There may also be a discussion regarding pre-medication, if necessary.
- It will then be time to sit on the dental chair to begin the teeth cleaning process.
- Your dentist will use a rubbery scraper to clean your teeth and rinse it off after each use. The dentist will clean different parts of your teeth using the scraper.
- After the deep cleaning, they will brush your teeth using an electric toothbrush. They will do this by gently moving the toothbrush across your teeth. The dentist will rub the toothbrush back and forth until all teeth are given attention.
- The dentist will then rinse your mouth with water and use a cotton ball to wipe the moisture from your mouth.
Since there is no involvement of anesthesia in this procedure, patients are safe to leave the office by themselves. Remember to heed your dentist’s instructions in keeping your teeth clean.
How safe is a dental cleaning?
Professional teeth cleaning is very safe. The dental assistant and the dentist take numerous precautions for this dental service.
Here are some of these precautions:
- Wearing gloves throughout the procedure
- Keeping any cleaning solution in your mouth to ingest
- Putting eye protection on you
- Using safe or hypoallergenic products for the treatment
- Being gentle and precise with their activity
- Using modern technology and methods properly
Might this help to enlighten you about teeth cleaning. It’s always a good idea to invest more in yourself. Getting professional help to clean your teeth goes a long way for you and your overall health. Talk to our North York dentist if you want to begin your journey now. We are happy to serve you soon!