A dental emergency in North York can occur at any time. When it happens you should provide urgent attention to your teeth, gums and jaw. This guide will help you how to handle unavoidable situations while you wait for your dentist
What you should during dental emergencies
1. Cracked or chipped tooth
Before your go to your dentist, collect first the pieces of your teeth. Then, clean the pieces with warm water. When you see swelling on your cheek, apply a cold compress to alleviate the pain. Visit your dentist as soon as possible.
2. Broken wires and braces
When you are still waiting for your dental appointment, you can temporarily fix the broken wires and braces. You can use the eraser from the pencil to push the wire in a comfortable position. In addition, you may use orthodontic wax to cover the wire. Although it is not a permanent solution, it can prevent hitting your cheeks, gums or tongue. Once you have applied the necessary treatment, schedule an appointment with your dentist.
3. Things stuck in your teeth
It feels uncomfortable when you have something stuck on your teeth. When face with this challenge, you can use a string of dental floss to remove it. As much as possible, avoid using sharp objects because they can cause injury to your teeth or gums. If in case you cannot dislodge the object, you have to see the dentist right away.
4. Soft-tissues injuries in the mouth
Your tongue, cheeks, gums, and lips are all soft tissues. When they are injured, they bleed easily and if not treated immediately can cause extreme pain. Here are some first-aid techniques you can use.
- Gargle your mouth with saltwater for disinfection.
- With a moistened tea bag, you can apply pressure to the bleeding sit and leave it for fifteen to twenty minutes. Continue to apply the pressure until the time you visit your dentist.
5. Removal of fillings and crowns.
The removal of crowns can leave an empty space in your mouth which can affect your smile. For a short-term solution, You can use chewing gum to cover the space and alleviate the pain. Avoid reattaching your crown. It is highly recommended to see your dentist as soon as possible.
Bacteria can cause infection on your teeth and gums which leads to the formation of pus in the tissues. If not treated, it can deteriorate your teeth and gums. Your dentist can help treat your abscess but to reduce the pain, you can do the following home remedies :
- Rinse your mouth with saltwater. Do this thrice a day.
- To reduce swelling, put ice cubes and apply pressure in the affected area.
- See your dentist for prescribed treatment.
How to prevent tooth injuries
To avoid dental injuries, you can do the following preventive measures :
- Do not eat hard candies and ice for it can cause your teeth to crack.
- When you are playing sports, wear a mouthguard.
- Brush your teeth regularly.
- Reduce your intake of sweets and sugary drinks.
- Schedule a dental visit twice a year.
Book an appointment
You never know when a dental emergency might strike. The key is being prepared for any scenario and that means making an appointment with your North York dentist. Don’t delay your treatment to avoid long-term damage. If you had dental problems in the past but haven’t been seen by professionals since then, make sure they are aware of what’s going on. Keep your teeth healthy and protect your teeth at all costs