If you are missing one or more teeth, you may be wondering what your options are to bring back your smile. One of the most common types of dental restoration is dental bridges in North York. Read on to learn if this tooth replacement option is right for you.
What are dental bridges in North York?
A dental bridge is made of a false tooth with two or more crowns anchored to each side. The false tooth replaces the missing tooth. It gets support from its anchors placed on existing teeth. Bridges can be made of metal, ceramic or plastic and may last a lifetime with proper care.
The pros and cons of getting dental bridges
It is vital to understand the advantages and disadvantages of tooth bridges before deciding whether or not to get one.
Pros of dental bridges
Your dentist may recommend restoring your smile with a dental bridge if the issue is missing teeth. Aside from having a new tooth, here are its other benefits:
- They do not need bone grafting and are less invasive.
- They are usually less expensive compared to dental implants.
- It will only take two dental visits to complete the procedure.
Cons of dental bridges
Although dental bridges are famous for replacing missing teeth, they also have drawbacks. Below are the common disadvantages of dental bridges:
- Traditional bridges use crowns as support. Your dentist may need to trim the existing teeth, which may lose a part of healthy enamel.
- Maryland bridges involve cementing the metal at the back of the teeth, affecting the surrounding teeth or causing damage.
- Unfortunately, bridges cannot fix bone loss in the jaw as they do not have roots that adhere to the jaw bone.
Because of these pros and cons, it is essential to consult your North York dentist to discuss your best options.
The cost of dental bridges
Many factors go into the cost of dental bridges. Your dentist can provide you with a more accurate estimate but here are some factors that can affect the price of your procedure:
- Types of dental bridges
- The number of teeth needed for replacement
- Location of dental clinic
- Dentist’s experience and expertise
- Materials for creating bridges
Depending on the type of dental bridges you need, you can expect a few steps during your dental bridge procedure.
Your dentist will assess your mouth to check if any tooth decay or gum disease is present. Afterwards, they will take an x-ray and get your teeth and mouth measurements.
The dentist will file both healthy teeth on either side of the gap to prepare them for your dental bridge. Then, they will make a mould and send them to the laboratory. While you wait for your permanent bridge to be ready, your dentist will give you a temporary bridge.
Attachment of Permanent Bridge
As soon as your permanent bridge is available, the dentist will attach it to your teeth. Furthermore, they will check if your bridge fits you comfortably or needs adjustments.
Why should you consider it?
Dental bridges in North York are an investment. It restores a missing tooth, providing multiple benefits more than just a complete smile. Having all your teeth helps them keep their function, hence maintaining your health and boosting your confidence. If you’ve been thinking about getting bridges, get in touch with our dental clinic in North York. They will be able to guide you through the process.